Re: Call for Consensus: Moving HTTP/3, QPACK and Recovery to the Late-Stage Process

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Thu, 07 November 2019 12:38 UTC

Subject: Re: Call for Consensus: Moving HTTP/3, QPACK and Recovery to the Late-Stage Process
To: Mike Bishop <mbishop@evequefou.be>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Ryan Hamilton <rch@google.com>
Cc: Lars Eggert <lars@eggert.org>, IETF QUIC WG <quic@ietf.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 12:38:18 +0000

I don't think Recovery has that level of maturity yet.

To me, QUIC transport contains protocol specs that are the same as other
protocols - albeit inter-twined with the encryption model and
HTTP-specific aspects, but the recovery spec is focused on the protocol
mechanisms, and needs to be correct with respect to the implications on
other transport flows sharing capacity with QUIC.

In that space, we indeed need to get the spec correct. That may mean
late comments (alas); but hopefully things will move faster if we focus
on resolving issues and if work separates a little to http3 v recovery
topic, actually most of the comments seem to come from a few people. If
the process somehow impeded that I would be concerned.

Maybe I might feel happier after a detailed review of the latest text in
24 and a check through the issues -  I undertake to do this before the
Singapore meeting!

Gorry