Re: Priorities I-D for Thursday HTTPbis meeting (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority-04.txt)

"Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com> Thu, 21 November 2019 01:53 UTC

From: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Subject: Re: Priorities I-D for Thursday HTTPbis meeting (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority-04.txt)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 09:53:11 +0800
Cc: quic@ietf.org
To: Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>

I agree with Martin’s comments. We really should emphasize that these are suggestions for improving the user experience that may need to be adjusted based on external knowledge by recipients.

Also, there is a spot in the document where Vary is mentioned as being appropriate. I don’t agree that Vary is ever appropriate for this feature because that changes the semantics of the priority in ways that are terribly unpredictable, nor is content negotiation on the basis of received Priority a good idea. I would simply require that Priority not be included in preemptive content negotiation and be done.

Even with these minor issues, I think this draft is a great improvement and is ready for adoption by the WG.

....Roy