Re: A side meeting on OpenSSL's plans about QUIC

Robin MARX <> Wed, 03 November 2021 10:12 UTC

Return-Path: <>
Received: from localhost (localhost []) by (Postfix) with ESMTP id 5A2473A101F for <>; Wed, 3 Nov 2021 03:12:14 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -2.098
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-2.098 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_EF=-0.1, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001, URIBL_BLOCKED=0.001] autolearn=unavailable autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (1024-bit key)
Received: from ([]) by localhost ( []) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id ylrH2V-75sN0 for <>; Wed, 3 Nov 2021 03:12:09 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from ( [IPv6:2a00:1450:4864:20::329]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 5C5743A1274 for <>; Wed, 3 Nov 2021 03:12:08 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by with SMTP id d72-20020a1c1d4b000000b00331140f3dc8so1396552wmd.1 for <>; Wed, 03 Nov 2021 03:12:08 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=google; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc; bh=eGgmUqB3PzfZUEzeQaI43Zr+5Oyio9lxP97X1jiVrKM=; b=Z/nG6+trqDpCPc8FLK/Urw/FPj4btjNgtmCErqa/JgVOUr3pnuxUD+jevAS4xImTIu 626TjXlObrCL+MyNr3q8NpdoSEVE0KsTZBxOC6D/wdnOQbV6DjbrVAB8NnEZkRqztVW9 A04zJATCpkenwuYq4GbXDnvtQzmwspRdhJmRA=
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=20210112; h=x-gm-message-state:mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date :message-id:subject:to:cc; bh=eGgmUqB3PzfZUEzeQaI43Zr+5Oyio9lxP97X1jiVrKM=; b=ym9ivcItDqAXKIWb34vTKyTIc0rNuEHPSmIDE15KHcjqkr8A++MNcoi8PhWEHs+arv fN2ZioyjwdLF4O+LkcfZdjOu04i5Ffq5iJH0pHK3+WxUgEr0KVN5CR9W0sV/L/TLd8pK r0PFwTp5RdC0Vj+4t+kzmssHi1IUBKPw4b0quzClj4cYonQMA7p8jTKKCrSvSViuygSd PPbXzYZpSe8QPoe3f71aKszBus1PD8OhGHhtCsZlzVcWWbsONOhWodp/ATDt3HI4J1ex JRojcG36rkwZhwhfhOFaI1keuh8Y77c0+QwcqtEfKOQwd0dxQKFPkccq+fz1m56EQYNM hOLg==
X-Gm-Message-State: AOAM533liP25naDaplohJRn6AYU6wbnVcekTOyAq4NSwrjE0vjrMxO3L kWU66psGKTywK1zw4IE7COXi3YioZBhUWNnSLciYUg==
X-Google-Smtp-Source: ABdhPJweXWNpBLls7+7szE+2w5Or0GhYoPx961PNKFB/HkDaKwYFBLDINK0QV7q7N8sjnLQ8j7XNnRzqzgDflKX4BZI=
X-Received: by 2002:a05:600c:1d0e:: with SMTP id l14mr13679200wms.64.1635934325920; Wed, 03 Nov 2021 03:12:05 -0700 (PDT)
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <>
In-Reply-To: <>
From: Robin MARX <>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 11:12:00 +0100
Message-ID: <>
Subject: Re: A side meeting on OpenSSL's plans about QUIC
To: "Salz, Rich" <>
Cc: "" <>, "" <>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0000000000005f6ef705cfdfa473"
Archived-At: <>
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.29
Precedence: list
List-Id: Main mailing list of the IETF QUIC working group <>
List-Unsubscribe: <>, <>
List-Archive: <>
List-Post: <>
List-Help: <>
List-Subscribe: <>, <>
X-List-Received-Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 10:12:14 -0000

Hello Rich,

I'm wondering if you could give a bit more details about the expected
outcome of this meeting?

IIUC, most people in the QUIC wg at least seem to be of the same opinion
that the OpenSSL plans are bad; I'm not sure IETF people (and even most
other QUIC implementers/users) need (more) convincing of this/repeating of
On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be an *active* effort to include
OpenSSL people in the meeting (as mentioned on the quicdev slack yesterday).

As such, I'm wondering what this potential echo-chamber aims to accomplish?
Prepare an "official statement" of sorts? Initiate a more formal liaison
relationship with the OMC? Is it the place of the IETF to "tell" other
projects what to do?
Ratify the switch to quictls and discuss plans for long-term maintenance?
Discuss the future of TLS use in QUIC v2?

Having a more concrete grasp on the goals would help me at least to better
prepare for this potentially crucial meeting.

Practical note for others: the time of the meeting seems to have changed
yesterday, make sure you update your agendas (the timing in the trac seems
correct/consistent with the changed ics).

Thanks and with best regards,

On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 at 19:13, Salz, Rich <>

> As you might know, the OpenSSL Management Committee (OMC) has released
> their requirements for upcoming releases [1].  It has been met with a great
> deal of community pushback, some of which I summarized [2].
> A group of us are organizing a side meeting on Weds 16:30-20:00 UTC. You
> can find the logistics here [3]. Agenda and moderator will be posted soon.
> The meeting will be recorded.
> I know this is cross-posted to two very active lists. Please take care
> when replying, or save it for the meeting :)
> [1]
> [2]
> [3]


dr. Robin Marx
Postdoc researcher - Web protocols
Expertise centre for Digital Media

*Cellphone *+32(0)497 72 86 94
Universiteit Hasselt - Campus Diepenbeek
Agoralaan Gebouw D - B-3590 Diepenbeek
Kantoor EDM-2.05