Subject: Re: [Last-Call] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-quic-transport-32

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 08:22:23 +0000

On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 10:34 -0600, Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
> 
> I think this is a problem generally in Quic specs.
> They are written for implementers.
> 
> A protocol specification should not be an implementation spec. 
> I think this is a deep issue maybe most Quic people do not appreciate because
> it seems those people are mostly implementers.

As responsible AD I do want to respond to this. Protocol specification exists to
enable implementation. And that it is written for implementors are actually
great as it will avoid many interoperability issues. Other usage of the
specification I think will not be greately challenged by the detail level. This
is not a novel, it is a protocol specification. So I don't consider this an
issue, rather the opposite. 

From my perspective the QUIC documents are in the top percentile of documents
when it comes to specification quality that I have seen during my soon 6 years
as AD from across the whole IETF.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund
TSV AD