Erik Kline's Yes on draft-ietf-quic-transport-33: (with COMMENT)

Erik Kline via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 05 January 2021 06:18 UTC

From: Erik Kline via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-quic-transport@ietf.org, quic-chairs@ietf.org, quic@ietf.org, quic-chairs@ietf.org, lars@eggert.org
Subject: Erik Kline's Yes on draft-ietf-quic-transport-33: (with COMMENT)
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 22:18:08 -0800

Erik Kline has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-quic-transport-33: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-quic-transport/

COMMENT:

[[ comments ]]

[ section 8.2.3 ]

* I found this wording a tad odd:

    If the PATH_CHALLENGE frame that resulted in successful path
    validation was sent in a datagram that was not expanded to at least
    1200 bytes, the endpoint can regard the address as valid.

  It seems like whether the frame was padded to 1200 or not, if the response
  data matches the challenge data the address can be considered validated.

  I think the point at the end of the sentence is to say that *only* the
  address, but not the MTU, can be taken as validated.

[ section 9.6.3 ]

* Entirely optional, but I wonder if it's worth noting that in certain
  situations, for example an IPv6-only client and IPv4-only server, the
  client might be required to evaluate use of an alternate address family
  address if, for example, some transition mechanism (a la NAT64) was in
  use.

[ section 9.7 ]

* "as this would enable..." reads to me like the opposite of what's intended.
  Perhaps: "as failure to do so would enable..."?

[ section 14.1 ]

* I think it might be important to note that this strategy places some
  restrictions on the use of things like IPv6 extension headers that can be
  used in these packets.

  For example, on an IPv6-only link with a 1280 MTU, enforcing a 1200 byte
  UDP payload in these packets leaves only 32 bytes of space for any
  extension headers.

  I think this is likely fine for these initial packets (vis. section 8.1 and
  so on ), but as a general requirement for all packets this could
  artificially constrain use of new extension headers.

[ section 19.3.1 ]

* This seems intricate enough that it might be nice if there were an
  Appendix (A.5?) section walking through an example computation or two.

[ section 19.18 ]

* I'm idly wondering if there would be any debugging value in the response
  including the IP & port to which the response is being sent (i.e. from
  which the path challenge was received) ... assuming the packet with the
  PATH_RESPONSE frame is protected.

  Not important though, and perhaps it was already discussed and rejected.
  (or maybe it's better as some future, entirely separate PATH_INFO frame)

[[ questions ]]

[ section 8.2.4 ]

* To be clear, this document is effectively saying that it takes no position
  on the interpretation of any ICMP errors received?  Is it up to the
  implementer to decide if "validated" (in as much as ICMP messages can be
  validated) Admin Prohibited messages, for example, should constitute a
  positive confirmation of path failure?  Or is there some very specific
  stance that should be taken ("never trust that lyin' ICMP!")?

[ section 10.3 ]

* Does this "datagram ends with stateless reset token" scheme mean that
  implementations must check the output of every packet, including post
  encryption, and take some action if a (very low probability) collision
  occurs (meaning the output accidentally produces this 16 byte value
  but the packet is not intended to be a stateless reset)?

[[ nits ]]

[ section 7 ]

* There seem to be two paragraphs with the same text about how an endpoint
  validates ECN support.  Seems like maybe only the first paragraph is really
  necessary (or, put another way: I can't see what new information the second
  paragraph adds).

  (the paragraph below Figure 4 seems to be repeated information)

[ section 8.1.1 ]

* "a NEW_TOKEN frames" -> "a NEW_TOKEN frame" or "NEW_TOKEN frames"

[ section 17.2.3 ]

* ", as defined Section" -> ", as defined in Section"