RE: Feedback from first read of QUIC/HTTP draft 08

Lucas Pardue <Lucas.Pardue@bbc.co.uk> Fri, 08 December 2017 16:20 UTC

From: Lucas Pardue <Lucas.Pardue@bbc.co.uk>
To: Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen <mikkelfj@gmail.com>, Dmitri Tikhonov <dtikhonov@litespeedtech.com>
CC: IETF QUIC WG <quic@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: Feedback from first read of QUIC/HTTP draft 08
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 16:20:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.19.161.212]
x-exclaimer-md-config: c91d45b2-6e10-4209-9543-d9970fac71b7
x-tm-as-product-ver: SMEX-11.0.0.4255-8.100.1062-23518.000
x-tm-as-result: No--20.717900-0.000000-31
x-tm-as-user-approved-sender: Yes
x-tm-as-user-blocked-sender: No

Hi Mikkel,

I didn't mean to sound adversarial, rather in that httpbis thread I had raised a question about extracting common semantics out of the HTTP/2 doc; your text seems quite aligned to that idea which I had independently. To give a different example, HTTP server push could, IMO, benefit from be abstracted away from the HTTP/2 specifics in which it is defined. On that topic, I raised a few issues with push in HTTP/QUIC where I think some editorial changes could help improve its readability. There are other changes (like uni streams) that needed to be shaken out before tackling improvements, so somebody issues remain open. (I'll get around to doing a PR soon).

Fresh eyes are great for the very reason you describe. I'm sure many people wouldn't go to the effort of writing up issues or suggesting improvents, so thanks for doing so. I think I agreed with most of what you wrote up.

Regards
Lucas

Ps in my previous email I meant to say RFC 7541 (HPACK).