Re: [radext] Update RFC 6929 in draft-ietf-radext-radius-fragmentation

<lionel.morand@orange.com> Tue, 18 March 2014 15:27 UTC

From: <lionel.morand@orange.com>
To: Alan DeKok <aland@deployingradius.com>, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 15:27:17 +0000
Cc: "radext@ietf.org" <radext@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-radext-radius-fragmentation@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-radext-radius-fragmentation@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [radext] Update RFC 6929 in draft-ietf-radext-radius-fragmentation

On the same line, it should be highlighted for information that the field assigned for "T" in this document was available at the time of publication but it could conflict in the future with a normative document that would reuse the same field with another meaning.

Regards,

Lionel

Envoyé depuis mon Sony Xperia SP d'Orange

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> a écrit :

Alan,
> Benoit Claise wrote:
>> The question is: does it even make sense for an experimental RFC to
>> update another RFC?
>    Only if the other one is also experimental.
Good point.
I checked the last 100 published experimental RFCs, and when an "Update"
was used, it was always updating an experimental RFC.

Regards, Benoit

>> Checking with one fellow IESG member, we don't think this the draft
>> Updates 6929. Nobody implementing 6929 has to look at this document. And
>> we think an Experimental document updating a standards track document is
>> bad form, even if not specifically forbidden. There's a normative
>> reference to 6929; Updates is not needed.
>    That sounds good to me.
>
>    Alan DeKok.
> .

Thank you.