Re: [radext] [IANA #811747] Last Call: <draft-ietf-radext-dynamic-discovery-13.txt> (NAI-based Dynamic Peer Discovery for RADIUS/TLS and RADIUS/DTLS) to Experimental RFC

Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu> Fri, 20 March 2015 08:52 UTC

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 09:52:41 +0100
From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu>
To: drafts-lastcall@iana.org
Cc: draft-ietf-radext-dynamic-discovery.all@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [radext] [IANA #811747] Last Call: <draft-ietf-radext-dynamic-discovery-13.txt> (NAI-based Dynamic Peer Discovery for RADIUS/TLS and RADIUS/DTLS) to Experimental RFC

Hello,

two comments:
> First, in the S-NAPTR Application Service Tags subregistry of the
> Straightforward-NAPTR (S-NAPTR) Parameters registry located at:
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/s-naptr-parameters/
>
> three, new service tags will be registered as follows:
>
> Tag: aaa+auth
> Reference: [ RFC-to-be ]
>
> Tag: aaa+accr
> Reference: [ RFC-to-be ]
>
> Tag: aaa+dynauth
> Reference: [ RFC-to-be ]

There is a typo in your mail: the draft registers aaa+acct (note a t at
the end, like "accounTing"). All occurences in the draft are for acct;
no mention at all of accr.

> Third, this document requests two service names - radiustls and radiusdtls - to be registered for both TCP and UDP in the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry located at:
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers
>
>       Service Name: radiustls; radiusdtls
>
>       Transport Protocols: TCP, UDP
>
>       Assignee: IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
>
>       Contact: IETF Chair <chair@ietf.org>

>       via the RADIUS protocol.  These service names are used to
>       construct the SRV service labels "_radiustls" and "_radiusdtls"
>       for discovery of RADIUS/TLS and RADIUS/DTLS servers, respectively.
>
>       Reference: [RFC-to-be]
>

> Question: What are the Defined TXT keys for each SRV names?
> The Defined TXT keys are required for SRV service names.

I think I disagree (but I'm not quite sure ;-) . Reading RFC6763 Section
6, I read:

"Note that this requirement for a mandatory TXT record applies
   exclusively to DNS-SD service advertising, i.e., services advertised
   using the PTR+SRV+TXT convention specified in this document.  It is
   not a requirement of SRV records in general.  The DNS SRV record
   datatype [RFC2782] may still be used in other contexts without any
   requirement for accompanying PTR and TXT records."

As defined in the draft, the service name is NOT registered for DNS-SD
and makes no use of accompanying PTR and TXT records. It is defined
following RFC2782, defining a "Name" in that RFCs notion and if anything
has an accompanying NAPTR.

Please advise if you still insist on the definiton of a TXT.

> The authors should submit a template at http://www.iana.org/form/ports-services for early allocation and put the Internet Draft as a reference according to RFC6335 as stated in section 8.1.1 of that document.

Will do. I've submitted the two forms without a TXT now, hoping that
IANA's answer to the above is "TXT is not required".

I believe the other four issues do not require intervention by the
authors; these are between IANA and the experts. If I'm wrong, please
let me know.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--