[RADIR] draft-narten-radir-problem-statement

Phil Roberts <roberts@isoc.org> Tue, 15 December 2009 18:42 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:42:12 -0600
From: Phil Roberts <roberts@isoc.org>
To: radir@ietf.org, chair@ietf.org, Olaf Kolkman <olaf@NLnetLabs.nl>
Subject: [RADIR] draft-narten-radir-problem-statement

I've just finished reading this and it seems to me it is ready to
publish.  I'm attaching a few comments (many of which you'll probably
get in the pub process anyway).  What is needed to move this along at
this point?

Regards,
Phil

----
In the abstract I'm assuming you'll delete the text about send comments.

Might be better to say "at the time of publication" than "which currently
      number in the hundreds of thousands of entries"

in both the PA and PI definitions it says "that the customer return
      those addresses (and renumber)" - I would guess renumbering is the
true pain and this wording might lead one to believe it's the other way
round.

in the background the reference [XXX] needs to be filled in

in the background you ask "[xxx-do we
      really discuss this issue sufficiently below?]" - I think the
answer to this is yes.  One can make this a kind of never ending
discussion and you point to the need for further study of this which
could lead to the production of a more extensive standalone document on
the topic.

"they must be able
   to initialize the RIB and FIB at boot time" - is there a question
whether or not this can actually be done, or where this can be done in a
reasonable time (startup of the RIB is so computationally expensive it
can never complete?)

One might consider whether to rename "Business considerations" into
"Operational considerations?"  There certainly are business
considerations but there are also operational policy issues worked in
that are important.   I'm not saying this because I balk at business
considerations in docs like this, though others may complain about that
also.

"would not be handle to"  should be "would not be able to handle"

"discdontiguous" should be "discontinguous"

" (As of July 2007, [3] states there are 25,836 active ASes in the
   routing system."  can probably be more current?