Re: [RAM] revised draft proposed definitions

JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com> Tue, 12 June 2007 12:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:57:45 +0200
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Subject: Re: [RAM] revised draft proposed definitions
Cc: ram@iab.org

Brian,
Tony said "a string of bits", this seems adequate.

I am not sure that you want an address to always be binary. I start
working on multilingual semantic addressing support in relation with
the cctags (they actually root national linguistic relational spaces
taxonomies, as in a some more granular way the langtags do, from a
linguistic POV). These addresses are not binary. They are not used to
route through the network (at least now), but they can locally to the
destination.

If you consider HTTP.1.1 it supports binary (network) and non-binary
(virtual host) addresses collapsing naming and addressing space at
local level into a single space. This is something you may not wish,
but this is something possible and being used.

Also, just remember that multi-level naming (one can use for
multilevel semantic addressing and multilevel IP addressing, must be
self-similar (another way to say it must scale)). However,
"self-similar" makes clearer that this can be up/down scalarity. And
therefore, since the current binary/semantic syntax is something
being used, which works correctly, and will therefore be used, so you
must stay compatible with it.

jfcm