Re: [RAM] Tunnelling Route Reduction Protocol

"William Herrin" <bill@herrin.us> Wed, 22 August 2007 22:41 UTC

DKIM-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=sQ7c4xk87iOv/5WmQaCZc6cloMzGxDqMzZ3rKqs7bXi+i3Xo0YIAPMmoaTAOhAq62+UxSTGzaWSv9A5y3srLMXU5BT35YTVt0pbM0bwFBEjs3jP1C0a191dzkj9rMTylfOpgHRWFRxH822vBPM3r5CADj8OVlQqIG49mmPK0bfA=
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=ksHbYTcKp9PITnB311rD5GAN5SqIdzR9CCd17Q1i5MnjFBo8QVrqlZTO5hiE8+g4y+DJwN03xupmM8sdaSKkK5zUkdqhL3fdkD2A86lUYIDcX0uJzkIlp8WRY33YEHyqI3L80XQbakAoga9eVT+qBhFyHwtwFVUCLusrGS/QEH8=
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:41:43 -0400
From: William Herrin <bill@herrin.us>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RAM] Tunnelling Route Reduction Protocol
Cc: ram@iab.org

On 8/22/07, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2007-08-21 15:30, William Herrin wrote:
> > 1. 99.9% of the time, the originator of the packet has already had to
> > do a DNS lookup or some other lookup to map a name to an IP address.
>
> Wouldn't that be 49.95%? Half of all first packets tend to be

Hi Brian,

Its still 99.9%; the return packet is part of the initial transaction.
But you're right, there are potentially two extra lookup delays on
that first transaction in addition to the original name to IP lookup.

If the network operator is sloppy then there could be more. If the DNS
resolver doesn't refer queries through a resolver on globally routable
space or the authoratative name to ip DNS server isn't on globally
routable space then there could be a dozen lookups to get to the point
where the two endpoints are talking and all pertinent routes are
cached.

That's avoided by good operations practice, so I'm not too worried about it.

> For a server
> handling thousands of requests per second, adding a lookup means
> holding thousands of TCBs in a wait state for the duration of the
> lookup. There are perhaps some interesting DDOS attacks there.

Shouldn't be much different that you see with SYN floods and SYN cookies now.

I suspect the worst DOS would involve sending packets to random
addresses. The ITR lookups run afoul of the same problem that Cisco
fast-switching did: overwhelming the cache. The ITR would have to take
care not to discard routes for sessions that have seen a lot of
packets in favor of pending lookups or routes that have only seen a
few packets.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--