Re: [RAM] A curious Internet service offering

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> Thu, 03 January 2008 02:13 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:organization:user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=VlNmfJUALoXf1CSG07JUJBsTdyjmqsoSOVFvAmbo+dQ=; b=VZWBmbwGGn8B3d11xb52vY4Sy9/eOyex3I7kbu4GfoirgVgr9fBQvusaRcUSaLXohC8YdY+qlqISAfj3pxqI4tPzlvq9GXLGyH13l1MMK3g/DV6F8ASP3WIfVwxXCJSyF7gma+gQgF6gwOz7GMJ8wswdcHKAViqJ/OLSyPmbmi4=
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 15:13:08 +1300
From: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
To: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [RAM] A curious Internet service offering
Cc: ram@iab.org

On 2008-01-03 14:56, Roland Dobbins wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2008, at 9:39 AM, David Meyer wrote:
>
>>     Interestingly, Vince Fuller has been predicting this
>>     outcome for years.
>
> Yes, and it's almost assuredly going to become more common, irrespective
> of addressing systems, routing systems, etc.  Many enterprises already
> do this to a large degree, they seem to find it an attractive model.
>
> Which means that most everything ends up transported via or tunneled
> over TCP/80 and/or TCP/443, obfuscated and/or encrypted, with more and
> more interactive applications using COMET-type technologies.

This whole horror story points to what should be the *real* political
issue, rather than the so-called "net neutrality" nonsense.

IMHO more use should be made of the terminology in RFC 4084 secttion 2.
In fact getting such terminology into consumer protection regulations
would be entirely appropriate. But that is way outside the IETF's scope.

    Brian