Re: [RAM] Renumbering impossibility: TSL/SSL certs, DNS delegation etc.

JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com> Tue, 07 August 2007 22:44 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 00:44:01 +0200
To: Olivier.Bonaventure@uclouvain.be, Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au>
From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Subject: Re: [RAM] Renumbering impossibility: TSL/SSL certs, DNS delegation etc.
Cc: ram@iab.org

+1

as I explained many times addresses should be three orthogonal folds
: fixed, mobile, and virtual. I recently explained that "UP - user
protected addressing area" was missing in Thomas' review, and that an
address had to be "AP + IP + UP", each being separately managed. I
explained many times that an IPv6 addressing /3 block could be
organised that way, with three different registries and very small
tables if AP is E.164 related. Also, that as long as there is no
"plug and play" like standardised possibility protected in the user
addressing area, users will not be interested in IPv6.

Multilevel addressing obviously offers more possibilities that my
IPv6 respectful proposition. This includes virtual addressing (and
multilingual naming) over the solution that will be eventually worked
out to solve ROAP or the grassroots IPatch that could deploy. The
bonus would be that such a virtual presentation layer could deploy on
other technologies as well and permit migrations.

jfc