Re: [RAM] Re: Renumbering impossibility: TSL/SSL certs, DNS delegation etc.

Gert Doering <gert@space.net> Wed, 08 August 2007 09:22 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 11:22:13 +0200
From: Gert Doering <gert@space.net>
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Subject: Re: [RAM] Re: Renumbering impossibility: TSL/SSL certs, DNS delegation etc.
Cc: Olivier Bonaventure <Olivier.Bonaventure@uclouvain.be>, Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au>, ram@iab.org

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 11:12:09AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> So what? Most end users, today, do not even need IP, an ALG with HTTP
> would be sufficient for them (I am old enough to remember Compuserve
> and AOL 1.0). Do we want to maintain the crippled Internet that so
> many unfortunate users experience today or do we want a better
> solution (RFC 4924)?

My point was: people claiming that "all end-users need (!) instant
IP address portability!!" are just ignoring the majority of end-users,
that just do *not* need that, because:

  - they do not run servers that require a fixed IP address (DNS servers)

  - if they run servers at all (e.g. peer2peer stuff), they can happily use
    directory services that get updated whenever their IP address changes

  - renumbering is a nearly no-cost issue, because they don't have anything
    tied to fixed IP addresses

This is not advocating NAT, or dynamic IPs, but trying to get a more
balanced view into this discussion.

I *do* acknowledge that "corporate end-users" have different needs, and
as such, changing IP addresses can be difficult to impossible, depending
on the size and structure of the corporate network.  (Some, smaller,
corporate networks fall into the same category as "home end-users" - no
servers inside their network, external access is through a proxy only,
renumbering is less pain than signing a new contract with a new ISP
and turning up the new line).

I just can't see a way to truthfully claim "all end users need full
IP independence, multihoming, instant ISP changing".

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  113403

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279