[ranger] BOF situation with Ranger

Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net> Mon, 09 February 2009 11:33 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 13:32:09 +0200
From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
To: ranger@ietf.org, "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
Cc: "W. Mark Townsley" <townsley@cisco.com>
Subject: [ranger] BOF situation with Ranger

Fred and others,

The ADs have decided to not approve the RANGER BOF at this time. This
decision is mainly due to the observation that we already have quite a
bit of routing and addressing related work in the IETF/IRTF: the routing
research group, the proposed LISP BOF, many of the arguments for the
proposed 6AI BOF relate to address independence as well, etc. When
looking at all of these efforts, there was far less discussion and
general interest on RANGER than the other ones. On the other hand, the
proposal was submitted a bit late so I at least did not have time to
read all the material and I presume others may have had the same problem.

IETF work generally starts when there's a technical issue that can be
solved _and_ there is wide-spread community interest in solving it in a
particular way. I suspect we will see many future efforts in this space
-- but for any effort to make sense, there has to be that community that
is interested in discussing it. I would also like to offer the
possibility of independent submissions to the RFC Editor or AD sponsored
individual submission RFCs through the IETF. These might be useful for
folks who want to document something which does not warrant an entire
IETF WG.

Also, Fred and I have been talking off-list about a possible INT-AREA
presentation around SEAL. Stay tuned.

Jari