Re: [Rats] Out-of-band key material set up in architecture document

Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de> Wed, 06 November 2019 17:14 UTC

To: Laurence Lundblade <lgl@island-resort.com>, Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com>
CC: "rats@ietf.org" <rats@ietf.org>, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
From: Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 18:14:06 +0100
Subject: Re: [Rats] Out-of-band key material set up in architecture document

Hi Dave,
hi list,

the scope of the architecture was discussed a lot. It is okay to provide
a bigger picture here, as the "phasing approach" will allow to talk
about the attestation provisioning flows later on. Ben accompanied that
decision process and I think he might be able to restate that :)

I think we are all in wild agreement here wrt to:

> "the manufacturer must put it there”, is however I think too narrow

We do not have to be prescriptive about any things here anyways, but to
be descriptive or illustrative is very helpful.

In this quite prominent scenario:

> In some arguably more secure designs, the device itself creates the key pair and the manufacturer per se never knows the private key, only the public key,

the manufacturer provisioned something that made this happen (and
therefore took measures to render the public key meaningful).

Viele Grüße,

Henk