Re: [Rats] Age Claim in EAT

Laurence Lundblade <lgl@island-resort.com> Thu, 30 July 2020 19:29 UTC

From: Laurence Lundblade <lgl@island-resort.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 12:29:31 -0700
Cc: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@arm.com>, "rats@ietf.org" <rats@ietf.org>
To: Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de>
Subject: Re: [Rats] Age Claim in EAT

In concept, age is the difference between time(VG) and time(EG) as described in RATS Architecture Appendix A.

I think time(EG) is when the token is signed (or otherwise cryptographically protected). I’m surprised that Appendix A doesn’t define it as that important moment. Claims can change after time(EG).

After Eric created the timing diagrams for architecture I re-thought the age claim. I don’t think it is a general independent claim, but rather is an attribute of individual claims, for example the age of a location or of a SW measurement.  PR #59 <https://github.com/ietf-rats-wg/eat/pull/59/files> removes it as a top-level claim and adds an age item to the location claim.

There was some discussion between these two options:
  - Define a general way to add attributes like age (or time stamp) to any claim — A general claim decoration mechanism
  - Add an age (or time stamp) field to claims that need it

I’ve tended away from general attributes to keep code size and complexity down.

But what I really want to know is which manufacturer Endorses Henk, what is in his Endorsement and whether it is signed by a public key pair or a symmetric key. :-)

LL