Re: [Rats] comments on draft-birkholz-rats-uccs

Laurence Lundblade <lgl@island-resort.com> Fri, 07 August 2020 16:46 UTC

From: Laurence Lundblade <lgl@island-resort.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2020 09:46:12 -0700
Cc: rats@ietf.org, Jessica Fitzgerald-McKay <jmfitz2@cyber.nsa.gov>, Michael Jenkins <m.jenkins.364706@gmail.com>
To: Jessica Fitzgerald-McKay <jmfmckay@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Rats] comments on draft-birkholz-rats-uccs

Seems to me that one of these is also characteristic of CWT/COSE (character of symmetric keys) and the rest are potentially true of CWT/COSE.

Personally, I don’t think it is the IETF’s job to explain to implementers how to correctly use a TEE, SE, HSM or other restricted operating environments. That’s not a job that can be completed in a protocol document. Most implementers working with TEEs and similar already have the rope and we can’t really take it away from them. When I went to intro to writing security considerations session at the last Montreal IETF, one of the main points was that IETF can’t really control what implementers do.

That said, I do think it is the job of the IETF to create protocols that can make use of TEE’s and the like.

As I’ve mentioned before, I think UCCS should have a very minimal discussion on security in-the-absence-of-CWT/COSE because it’s not really possible to cover it well. There’s too many implementation environment and use case specific issues. Jessica’s comment is an illustration of that.

LL