Re: [Rats] Attestation of implementation vs authenticity of service

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Sun, 16 August 2020 01:10 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Laurence Lundblade <lgl@island-resort.com>, rats@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 21:10:51 -0400
Subject: Re: [Rats] Attestation of implementation vs authenticity of service

Laurence Lundblade <lgl@island-resort.com> wrote:
    > Service providers (e.g., web sites) use whatever HW and SW they want to
    > use. As a user of the service we don’t care what HW and SW they
    > select. We trust the service provider to pick good HW and SW and to
    > configure and operate it correctly. They might change the HW and the SW
    > and as a user we won’t know.  For example we trust Bank of Xxx to
    > operate their banking web site correctly with little concern for their
    > HW. This is why attestation of the HW and SW is not so useful to the
    > user of a service.

The only reason that I do not demand knowledge (attestation) about how my
Bank operates is because I don't (individually) have the economic clout to demand it, and
the users suffer from a Collective Action Problem
  https://www.britannica.com/topic/collective-action-problem-1917157
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_action_problem
In Canada (at least), as a shareholder of a publically trade company, I'm
apparently forbidden from communicating with other shareholders, except via the
company.

So I don't think that the difference has anything to do with what we want,
but rather what has been possible up to now.

My bank regularly makes very poor technology choices.
They also seem very reluctant to publically document their processes.
Unfortunately, I can't vote with my wallet, because the other ones are as bad or worse.

    > Users of mobile phones and IoT devices are not trustworthy to pick
    > secure HW and SW. They are not professionals like the people running
    > web sites. There is little accountability against them if they pick bad
    > SW and HW. Therefor we want attestation for these usage scenarios. This
    > is why EAT, FIDO and Android Attestation exist.

This does not ring correct at all to me.
Large media giants want assurances from manufacturers of phones that the end
user does not have control over the video output systems, and the large
suppliers have demanded (again, through massive differences in economic
clout) assurances.
It has nothing to do with the abilities of the owners.
In fact, what is desired is assurance that the owners have in fact been
forced not to pick their own SW.

Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> wrote:
    > if you are talking about HTTPS, there is exactly one claim:  The
    > service is speaking for a specific name (e.g., facebook.com).  All
    > other claims are funneled through this one very special one.  Of
    > course, the TLS handshake could be leveraged to do more than this one
    > claim, but that is not what happens in HTTPS.

The CA system could also review the Bank's systems on a regular basis.
Claims could be embedded in the HTTPS server certificate, and this is already
in the architecture, in the spider diagram.

Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@sandelman.ca>ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-