Re: [Rats] Composite Evidence

"Smith, Ned" <ned.smith@intel.com> Thu, 23 January 2020 01:54 UTC

From: "Smith, Ned" <ned.smith@intel.com>
To: "Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com>, "Birkholz, Henk" <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de>, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com>
CC: "rats@ietf.org" <rats@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 01:54:29 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.24.10.130]
Subject: Re: [Rats] Composite Evidence

Eric,
I think there are two types of “composite” things that could be considered (i) decompositions of hardware and software such as a motherboard and the sub-components that could be plugged into it and (ii) time series snapshots of the same component.

You seem to be asserting (ii) where a time series snapshot of the same thing could be considered “composite evidence”.

I think both cases are valid, but maybe it makes sense to use different terms for each as they seem to have distinct properties. (e.g. evidence having multiple entries of a component with the same name  under (i) implies multiple instances of the same type of device – such as two NIC cards. Whereas under (ii) multiple entries implies there is one instance of the NIC sampled over a time interval.

-Ned