Re: [Rats] [rfc-i] document conventions around Capitalization of Terminology

Sandy Ginoza <sginoza@amsl.com> Fri, 16 April 2021 06:30 UTC

From: Sandy Ginoza <sginoza@amsl.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 23:31:07 -0700
Cc: rats@ietf.org, rfc-interest <rfc-interest@rfc-editor.org>, RFC Editor <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
Subject: Re: [Rats] [rfc-i] document conventions around Capitalization of Terminology

Hi Michael,

> But, I am wondering about convention, and I wonder if there is some magic
> keyphrase that needs to go into a Terminology Section such to indicate that
> to the editors and the readers that we are following that convention.
> Or if we should make up such a phrase.

We recommend the following on <https://www.rfc-editor.org/styleguide/tips/ <https://www.rfc-editor.org/styleguide/tips/>>:

Keeping a list of directives to provide to the RFC Editor once your document is approved for publication — for instance, if specific terms must appear in a certain way (spelling, hyphenation, capitalization, etc.), send us mail with your draft string in the subject line.

Please either send mail describing your style choices or include a note in the text itself (e.g., For the RFC Editor: …).  Mail should be sent to rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org.

In general, we agree with the comment that over-capitalization often detracts from readability.  However, when terms are (seemingly) inconsistently capitalized, we review how the terms are used and strive for consistency within the document, cluster, and other referenced documents.

Thanks for raising this topic for discussion - we hope to receive more style notes from authors.

Sandy Ginoza
for the RFC Production Center