Re: [Raven] German programmer "Mixter" addresses cyberattacks

"Richard Payne" <rcp@gfpx.com> Tue, 15 February 2000 15:42 UTC

From: Richard Payne <rcp@gfpx.com>
To: raven@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Raven] German programmer "Mixter" addresses cyberattacks
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 09:50:44 -0500
Sender: raven-admin@ietf.org

ch*fr*n wrote:

> (Pretty clueless ideas regarding a society as far as I see
> it. It's simply not acceptable for a lawful society that
> vandalists can produce damage worth of millons of dollars
> without much chance of getting cought.)
>

> It might well be that just tapping personal or business
> communication won't be enough to stop digital vandalism in
> the near future and police needs a sight at the traffic
> like they can look at numberplates of cars in a city...

Using distributed denial of service as yet another rationale for tapping
makes very little sense. The number of zombies involved makes it likely that
the originators of the attacks will eventually be caught. As pointed out by
mixter in the interview, the underlying problem is lax security on the
zombies. The end result will be better security as people become aware of
the potential problems.

ch*fr*n also wrote:

> p.s. I still think Raven might mark the point in time IETF
> lost the  guidance of Internet standards. I don't expect
> IPv6 to take off as we know it (maybe via UTMS with
> absolute(!) addresses), I expect a 5-10 year "standards"
> vacuum without a lot of new things and after that some form
> of government by UN/ETSI or even a new UN guided agency.

The UN running the Internet? Saints preserve us in creosote!

Richard Payne