Re: [Raven] [FYI] NL: Intelligence agency authorized to scan satellite communications

"chefren" <chefren@pi.net> Tue, 11 April 2000 20:13 UTC

From: chefren <chefren@pi.net>
To: raven@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:07:39 +0200
Subject: Re: [Raven] [FYI] NL: Intelligence agency authorized to scan satellite communications
Sender: raven-admin@ietf.org

On 11 Apr 00, at 15:41, William Allen Simpson forwarded:

> The new powers of the BVD are also interesting because some articles
> are related to cryptography and information technology. The BVD is
> authorized to break into homes and offices to bug keyboards. Besides
> that, the BVD is authorized to break into computers and steal, alter
> or delete information that is stored in computers. In other words,
> the BVD is allowed to hack. In this way, the intelligence agency can
> steal data from computers, manipulate software, corrupt passwords or
> install a Trojan Horse, so access is secured and cryptography can be
> bypassed.

I hope nobody was shocked by the article, that's inevitably
what you get if Encryption is free and law enforcement
needs means. It is a legalised electronic form of a
"razzia" and should be avoided as much as possible in a
decent society in my opinion.

(Nothing new in the article, the BVD, our internal
intelligence agency that only may report to the heads of
goverment, tapped already and all kind of things. Lots of
things are now more and more specified in laws. Microphones
in homes were allowed for use by the police some months
ago, the use of encryption by criminals certainly made it
easier to pass that law.)

I know I'm extremely bad understood by most of you but
still think we need the following:

Communication providers should be demanded by law to
encrypt the data of their customers and the customers
themselves should not be allowed to encrypt. The police
shouldn't be allowed to enter homes for placing bugs
without proof that the suspected are using encryption to
hide their communication.

+++chefren

p.s. There is still some time to reject that
everything but new pointless American-macho RFC...