Re: [Raven] [FYI] NL: Intelligence agency authorized to scan satellite communications

"Richard Payne" <rcp@gfpx.com> Wed, 12 April 2000 15:02 UTC

From: Richard Payne <rcp@gfpx.com>
To: raven@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Raven] [FYI] NL: Intelligence agency authorized to scan satellite communications
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:52:09 -0400
Sender: raven-admin@ietf.org

I note that even ch*fr*n does not care to defend random interception of
satellite communications or gathering of economic intelligence, neither of
which can reasonably be linked to a legitimate law enforcement purpose. This
kind of random snooping is the best possible argument for the average user
to adopt strong end-to-end crypto.

A reverse onus of proof (two years for not being able to prove that you
_don't_ have a key seems to follow) is also very troubling, at least to
those of us who are used to "innocent until proven guilty".

Since this is reported as being currently under debate in the Dutch
parliament, does anyone have information on how the debate is going, and
when this might become law?

Richard Payne