RE: [Raven] Congressman Bob Barr thanks IETF for not doing the wi retap thang

Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com> Mon, 07 February 2000 20:10 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 11:37:13 -0800
To: Ed Stone <estone@synernet.com>
From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [Raven] Congressman Bob Barr thanks IETF for not doing the wi retap thang
Cc: raven@ietf.org
Sender: raven-admin@ietf.org

At 08:43 PM 2/4/00 -0500, Ed Stone wrote:
>>With al due respect, what has this discussion got to do with the subject of
>>this list?
>
>I guess that after the draft, many think the subject of the list has been
>fulfilled. Not right?

The subject of the list remains discussing what the IETF should or should
not be doing about wiretap. In context, I would like to believe that is
mostly has to do with getting the current draft statement right, and
pointing out anything else that is important and might be missed. I note
that Chris Savage has been trying to do exactly that; I can't say that much
of the rest of this mail over the past week seems related to that. The fact
that you have decided that the work is done is not an invitation to useless
and pointless chatter.

Gouges at people, including but in no sense limited to countries that have
different viewpoints on the topic than you hold, congressmen,
left-wing-wackos, right-wing-wackos, low-flying-wackos, submarine-wackos,
and other people who have taken the time to contribute to the discussion,
are off-topic.

I utterly fail to see any connection between "consenting adults" and
"communications diverted without the communicator's knowledge or consent".

When the statement is completed, we will indeed take the list down. There
is so much noise here it is hard to distinguish which few notes add signal,
and last I checked the IETF was intended to be about signal.