Re: [Raven] German programmer "Mixter" addresses cyberattacks

"chefren" <chefren@pi.net> Wed, 16 February 2000 01:33 UTC

From: chefren <chefren@pi.net>
To: raven@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 01:53:54 +0100
Subject: Re: [Raven] German programmer "Mixter" addresses cyberattacks
Sender: raven-admin@ietf.org

On 15 Feb 00, at 9:50, Richard Payne wrote:

> ch*fr*n wrote:
>

> > (Pretty clueless ideas regarding a society as far as I see
> > it. It's simply not acceptable for a lawful society that
> > vandalists can produce damage worth of millons of dollars
> > without much chance of getting cought.)
> >

> > It might well be that just tapping personal or business
> > communication won't be enough to stop digital vandalism in
> > the near future and police needs a sight at the traffic
> > like they can look at numberplates of cars in a city...
> >

> Using distributed denial of service as yet another rationale for tapping
> makes very little sense.

Rationale for more control. Tapping is just one aspect,
this goes somewhat beyond.

> The number of zombies involved makes it likely that
> the originators of the attacks will eventually be caught. As pointed out by
> mixter in the interview, the underlying problem is lax security on the
> zombies. The end result will be better security as people become aware of
> the potential problems.

Security against lot's of request to a server?

..

> > p.s. I still think Raven might mark the point in time IETF
> > lost the  guidance of Internet standards. I don't expect
> > IPv6 to take off as we know it (maybe via UTMS with
> > absolute(!) addresses), I expect a 5-10 year "standards"
> > vacuum without a lot of new things and after that some form
> > of government by UN/ETSI or even a new UN guided agency.
> >

> The UN running the Internet? Saints preserve us in creosote!

Might be... UN isn't ideal...

Who/what do you expect to "police/rule the world" in
10/25/50/100 years?

Some form of world wide government and policing will
definitely appear af far as I see it and why wouldn't it be
able to push new standards?

+++chefren