[Raw] Alissa Cooper's Block on charter-ietf-raw-00-02: (with BLOCK)

Alissa Cooper via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 04 February 2020 21:39 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: raw-chairs@ietf.org, raw@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 13:39:56 -0800
Subject: [Raw] Alissa Cooper's Block on charter-ietf-raw-00-02: (with BLOCK)

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-raw-00-02: Block

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-raw/

BLOCK:

I still feel that the charter is unclear on the relationship between
"Aeronautical Data Applications" and the work of this WG. The charter says this
is "one" critical application, but then uses the term "these newly identified
industry applications" and "these newer industry applications." Do those
snippets of text refer to multiple different aeronautical applications? Or do
they refer to applications in other domains? Since the aeronautical
applications are called out multiple times, are they expected to take
precedence over other applications when the use cases and requirements are
defined?

Also, this is a little pedantic but since there has been a lot of confusion
about this, I think it needs to be clarified: the charter says "RAW’s focus
will be on identifying use cases and requirements for these new applications."
Wouldn't we expect applications to flow from use cases, not the other way
around? That is, if the WG intends to invent use cases for applications that
already exist, that seems backwards.