Re: [rddp] Storage Maintenance (storm) BOF reminder & requests

Fredy Neeser <nfd@zurich.ibm.com> Wed, 25 March 2009 16:56 UTC

To: Black_David@emc.com, rddp@ietf.org, ips@ietf.org
From: Fredy Neeser <nfd@zurich.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:57:35 +0100
Subject: Re: [rddp] Storage Maintenance (storm) BOF reminder & requests

David, All,

While I am unfortunately unable to attend the BOF this week,
I am interested in contributing to

- RDDP MPA: Small startup update for MPI application support.

preferably through your Option (C), the "virtual" working group.

                                ***

The interoperability of MPA-based RDMA connection management
is still a concern - for MPI, NFS/RDMA and other apps.

Because MPA has the (theoretically well-known) requirement that
the first FPDU be sent from the RDMA initiator side, whereas
InfiniBand has no such requirement, RDMA application writers
tend to be caught by surprise when an application that violates
this requirement works on InfiniBand but doesn't on iWARP.

The so-called "peer-to-peer connection management" that was
discussed in various flavours on the Linux OpenFabrics
reflector for making RDMA connection management more uniform
(among transports) and easier to use should be studied in detail.
The solution should be flexible enough to allow an optimized
application to avoid unnecessary additional round-trip delays.

In addition, MPA's "delayed startup sequence" (a.k.a. delayed
transition to RDMA mode or socket conversion) may need further
clarification. For instance, the negotiation of connection
parameters such as IRD and ORD should be clarified for cases
where Private Data is not used in MPA Request/Reply.
(IRD adjustment in RTS state is not mandatory according
 to the RDMAC Verbs, p. 74).

                                ***

Besides contributing to draft text, I am interested in
early testing of the MPA startup update through a
software implementation.

Thanks,
- Fredy

Fredy Neeser, Research Staff Member