Re: [re-ECN] Charter Question

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Mon, 17 May 2010 12:38 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: 'Bob Briscoe' <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>, stbryant@cisco.com
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 08:32:34 -0400
Cc: bmanning@vacation.karoshi.com, "'Woundy, Richard'" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>, re-ecn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [re-ECN] Charter Question

Hi,

Do we already have protocols that could help solve this problem
intra-domain, such as ipfix and psamp?

One of the concerns that has been raised is whether domains will be
willing to share this potentially-sensitive information across
domains.
As a vendor, if I supported a re-ecn, I would think I would be
motivated to allow the operator to decide not to share the info, and I
would implement a scrubbing mechanism (allow border routers to clear
the conex markers in traffic exiting a domain). The IETF cannot
dictate that deployments reveal this sensitive information, any more
than it could dictate that SNMP traps must be allowed cross-domain.

So maybe we should approach the problem in two steps:

1) determining how well existing standard protocols can be used to
effectively address the intra-domain congestion problem, and whether
specific enhancements, such as congestion-specific ipfix IEs, are
needed. This would give us forward progress on standard approaches for
monitoring congestion that might be deployed fairly quickly.

2) how to share information across domains. Since the major question
here seems to be whether domains would be motivated to share, maybe an
effort akin to INCH is needed for this piece. After we solve the first
problem, we can try to extend it to cross-domain, or use a different
mechanism for cross-domain reporting.

dbh