Re: [re-ECN] Charter Question

Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk> Mon, 17 May 2010 16:35 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 17:30:36 +0100
To: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
From: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>
Cc: bmanning@vacation.karoshi.com, "'Woundy, Richard'" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>, re-ecn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [re-ECN] Charter Question

David,

Allow me to talk in terms of the only concrete proposal we have (re-ECN):

1/ Whole path congestion marking

Re-ECN starts with the end systems telling all networks on the path
what the e2e congestion is. They use an e2e marking that the
end-systems can cover with e2e authentication. If a network scrubbed
re-ECN markings, it would/could break e2e authentication - probably
worse than sending TCP resets ;)

Just re-ECN on its own, without ECN, has a number of interesting
uses. I didn't think much about re-ECN with drop (not ECN) when I
designed re-ECN, but Matt Mathis convinced me.

The incentive for senders to declare re-ECN markings is strongest for
the large majority of systems that are *not* the main contributors to
congestion. They are saying "It's not me". OS and/or app developers
have an incentive to implement this for the majority of their
customers. E.g. BitTorrent has an incentive to make LEDBAT traffic
prove that "It's not me".

2/ ECN marking

Your question is, however, most relevant to whether an operator will
turn on ECN, because that's the protocol that reveals whether the
congestion is upstream or downstream of a point, when combined with
ConEx info. Yes, of course an operator doesn't have to turn on ECN;
so why would it?...

Once ConEx is deployed in a major OS or app, there is an incentive
for well-provisioned operators (the majority) to turn on ECN, again
to say "It's not me"... Here's why:

Imagine e2e ConEx markings are revealing a high level of congestion
in the traffic passing between networks A&B - somewhere on their e2e
paths in A or B. If you are network A and your network is not to
blame, you can prove this to B by turning on ECN. Alternatively, if
network B is not to blame, it can accuse A of being responsible for
the whole path congestion, unless A turns on ECN to prove how much of
the congestion is in B.

3/ Congestion as a business secret?

Networks already cannot help but reveal to end-systems that there is
congestion somewhere on the path. ConEx allows end-systems to reveal
this info back to networks. That would be a result for the IETF if it
took off, even if ECN was still not deployed.

I've given plausible scenarios for how ConEx then ECN might get
deployed. But ultimately I cannot say whether or not networks that
have something to hide will predominate. If so, we might get ConEx
but not ECN. If not, we might get both ConEx and ECN.

But this issue is beyond the IESG's remit to judge - it should surely
"let the market decide" on this point. Let's get moving.

Bob