Re: [regext] Ideas to address the privacy implication of reverse search draft

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Fri, 04 December 2020 09:27 UTC

From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
To: Ali Hussain <ali.hussain@siswa.um.edu.my>, regext@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 10:24:01 +0100
Subject: Re: [regext] Ideas to address the privacy implication of reverse search draft

Hi Ali,

thanks a lot for your interest.

Obviously, I'm willing to collaborate with anyone who plans to implement
the reverse-search capability and I'm open to any idea that can
contribute to make the proposal more comprehensive.

I'm also available to give my humble contribution to harmonize the
reverse-search specification with the concepts described in the hrpc draft.

That being said, if I interpreted your idea correctly, you are proposing
an operation model where the capability is open to everyone but the
access to possible sensitive response data are reserved only to
authenticated users, right?

If so, I have a couple of comments:

- The RDAP servers are already engaged in tailoring their responses on
different user profiles due to GDPR. Sensitive data redaction is usually
achieved through a combination of practices like not returning optional
sensitive data, replacing the value of  mandatory sensitive data (like
jCard "fn" for individuals), publishing only those sensitive data which
the owner has previously given the explicit consent for. So which
additional issues should your proposal address?

- In the case of a reverse-search, what must be allowed to authenticated
users is not the access to the data returned by the capability but
rather the capability itself.  Of course, the reverse search is not the
only query capability that can be controlled. For example, at .it we
don't permit everyone to submit a generic search query.  This can be
done either through the well-known HTTP authentication methods as
described in RFC7480 or by applying a federated authentication to RDAP
as defined by Scott's rdap-openid extension.  To make an ad-hoc access
control easy to implement, the reverse-search draft introduces the
specific "/reverse" path and lets servers furtherly regulate the access
on a per-entiy-role basis.

Definitively, maybe I'm missing something but do we really need anything
other than what already exists?

Best,

Mario