Re: [regext] Proposal about jCard replacement

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Wed, 03 July 2019 07:47 UTC

From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
To: Gavin Brown <gavin.brown@centralnic.com>
Cc: "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 09:46:08 +0200
Subject: Re: [regext] Proposal about jCard replacement

Hi Gavin,

Il 02/07/2019 14:05, Gavin Brown ha scritto:
> Hi Mario,
>
> I like JSContact and the current draft certainly looks good enough to be usable in RDAP. I imagine more work will be needed before JSContact will have feature parity with vCard/jCard.

Yes, the JSCard structure is not completed. I have already defined,
together with Robert Stepanek, a mapping between JSCard and JCard and it
seems to us that almost all the information described by JCard can be
represented by JSCard.  Some JCard elements have a 1-to-1 mapping to as
many JSCard fields, while some others corresponds to the same field. For
example, the JCard uri type elements can be represented as items of the
"online" array, each with appropriate values for "type" and "label"
properties.

We are also evaluating to add a generic field to represent all the
information which is not considered at present but it could be in the
future.

> I would be happy to publish a new version of draft-brown-epp-contacts-in-rdap which uses JSContact rather than its own representation of contact data. That would glue JSContact and RDAP together.

IMHO it would be better to write a new document with the contribution of
who is willing to implement JSCard in his own RDAP server (you, me,
maybe Andy). I think other stuff has still to be discussed. For example,
what to do to make the transition from JCard to JSCard as smooth as
possible. Should JSCard become the default and JCard an optional
capability or viceversa? How could an RDAP server inform a client that
it is able to return contact information according to the JSCard format?

We can have a short talk about it at the next meeting.

Cheers,

mario