Re: [regext] WG LAST CALL: draft-ietf-regext-rfc7482bis

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Sat, 03 October 2020 07:21 UTC

To: James Galvin <galvin@elistx.com>, regext@ietf.org
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 09:17:53 +0200
Subject: Re: [regext] WG LAST CALL: draft-ietf-regext-rfc7482bis

Il 02/10/2020 22:15, James Galvin ha scritto:
> The WGLC for this document was scheduled to end today.  While there is
> support to move the document forward there is one minor comment that
> has been raised during the last call.
>
> The chairs would like to hear from other working group members as to
> what to do with this comment.  Rather than close the last call and
> risk another last call, we are extending this last call for another
> week.  If we can come to a consensus as to how to proceed before the
> end of last call than the document can stay on track to be submitted
> to the IESG after the last call.
>
> The WG last call will end at close of business on Friday, 9 October 2020.
>

> Here are the comments as seen on the mailing list.  Please respond
> with your suggestions regarding these two comments.
>

> James Gould:
>
> Yes, lumping the registrar object with the contact object under a
> single RDAP entity object interface is the rub.  We solved the problem
> in the RDAP Profile, by supporting entity lookup by IANA ID (number)
> and registrar name (string) for the registrar objects, and by ROID
> (“((\w|_){1,80}-\w{1,8}") for the contact objects. Where there is
> overlap, which is registrar name (string) and ROID
> ((“((\w|_){1,80}-\w{1,8}") the contact takes precedence.  My
> recommendation is to provide guidance in the section 3.1.5 "Entity
> Path Segment Specification" for this real world case:
>
> The <handle> parameter represents an entity (such as a contact,
> registrant, or registrar) identifier whose syntax is specific to the
> registration provider.  For example, for some DNRs, contact
> identifiers are specified in [RFC5730] and [RFC5733], and
> registrar identifiers are specified using the IANA Registrar ID
> assigned by ICANN.  The server SHOULD define a scheme
> for the <handle> parameter to differentiate between the
> supported entity object types (e.g., contact and registrar),
> such as using different <handle> formats, using a <handle>
> precedence order, or a combination of formats and precedence
> order.
>
> The SHOULD could be a MUST, but the point is to provide guidance to
> implementers of the protocol.
>
> Two responses have been offered:
>
> Jasdip Singh response:
>
> One thought is if it could be in the RDAP profile doc for the DNRs
> (https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/rdap-operational-profile-2016-07-26-en).
> That way no need to update the spec.
>
> James Gould response:
>
> The RDAP Profile is dependent on the RFC, so I wouldn't create a
> circular dependency.  My recommendation is to take the lessons learned
> in implementing the RFC and provide guidance on how to handle it in
> the RFC directly.

The proposed update seems reasonable to me. However, we don't have to
make assumptions regarding how handle is generated by RDAP servers. In
my opinion, the document should simply give guidance to RDAP
implementers about how to disambiguate cases where overlap may occur.
Therefore, I would change the sentence as in the following:

OLD

The server SHOULD define a scheme
for the <handle> parameter to differentiate

NEW

Where overlap may occur, the server SHOULD define a scheme
for the <handle> parameter to differentiate

Best,

Mario