Re: [regext] OK, What Next? (was RDAP Extensions Approach Analysis v2)

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Mon, 27 June 2022 15:20 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 17:17:40 +0200
To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "jgould=40verisign.com@dmarc.ietf.org" <jgould=40verisign.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Subject: Re: [regext] OK, What Next? (was RDAP Extensions Approach Analysis v2)

Hi Scott,

my opinion is that the confusion results from the ambiguity in what is
written in section 6 of RFC7480.

Therefore, think first we need to unambiguously define:

-  the relationship between prefixes, IANA registered identifiers,
version numbers and rdapConformance values (substantially it means to
select one among the possible approaches and define everything formally)

- how version numbers can be identified into the rdapConformance values
(should "_level_" be used as a separator? what should be used as a minor
version seprator?)

Honestly, I'm not as knowledgeable as you about IETF procedures to set
out how to proceed; if we should correct RFC7480, write an RFC7480bis or
write another document.

Surely, we need to make some clarifications.

Then, depending on how RFC7480 will be updated, RFC9083 will be changed
or left as is.

Best,

Mario

--