Re: [regext] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-regext-rdap-sorting-and-paging-16: (with COMMENT)

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Fri, 18 September 2020 15:49 UTC

To: Éric Vyncke <evyncke@cisco.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: regext-chairs@ietf.org, tomh@apnic.net, regext@ietf.org, draft-ietf-regext-rdap-sorting-and-paging@ietf.org
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 17:46:18 +0200
Subject: Re: [regext] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-regext-rdap-sorting-and-paging-16: (with COMMENT)

Hi Eric,

thanks a lot for your review. Please find my comments inline.

Il 18/09/2020 15:02, Éric Vyncke via Datatracker ha scritto:
> Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-regext-rdap-sorting-and-paging-16: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-sorting-and-paging/

> COMMENT:
>
> Thank you for the work put into this document.
>
> Please find below a couple of non-blocking COMMENT points (but, to be honest, I
> was close to put a DISCUSS about server performance impact that is not fully
> addressed in the security section).
>
> I hope that this helps to improve the document,
[ML] Any feedback is valuable.

> Regards,
>
> -éric
>
> == COMMENTS ==
>
> -- Section 2.1 --
> I find the wording a little confusing in ""totalCount": "Numeric" (OPTIONAL)
> ...  It MUST be provided if and only if ...". While I understand the meaning,
> would another wording avoid the conflicting "OPTIONAL" <-> "MUST" ? I.e., the
> "OPTIONAL" could possibly be removed.
[ML] It's optional because it isn't displayed always and there is only
one condition under which it is provided. If one keyword should be
changed I think it's more appropriate to replace "MUST with "must" but I
would keep both of them.
> -- Section 2.2 --
> I am concerned that a server having to compute "totalCount" (even if only to
> return the first 10 entries) may spend a lot of time computing this number in
> the absence of index... The security section does not offer a definitive answer
> to this issue IMHO. E.g., I would prefer to allow the server to refuse to serve
> "totalCount" until the last page (and even).

[ML] The count operator is optional so a server can support it or not.
Moreover, it's reasonable to expect that an RDAP server will rely on
some db indexes to efficiently perform searches no matter if it supports
counting or not.

The purpose of the count operator is just to enable users to immediately
know the size of the result set and, consequently, evaluate if the
result set is worthy to be scanned. Sometimes, the number of results is
itself considered a relevant information.

Lastly, there's no need to count the total number of results through a
query at each possible result set page because, in general,  it doesn't
change. Therefore, when an initial query includes the count operator two
strategies can be implemented:

- the server includes the totalCount value in the first page and doesn't
include the count operator in the possible pagination links so the
totalCount value is not displayed in the following pages;

- the server includes the totalCount value in the first page, encode it
in the cursor value and include the count operator in the possible
pagination links so that the totalCount value is passed from page to
page and always displayed.

In both cases, only one counting query is processed.

> -- Section 2.3 --
> Is there a reason why RFC 5952 was not used to represent the IPv6 address ?
[ML] I apologize. I found this example of conversion from an ipv6
address to a number on the web and I didn't pay attention to the fact
that it wasn't compressed. I'll replace it with
"2001:0db8:85a3:0:0:8a2e:0370:7334".

> I am concerned that a server having to sort on client-side selection of
> properties may have a huge performance impact in the absence of relevant DB
> indexes.The security section does not offer a definitive answer to this issue
> IMHO.
[ML] A server is not required to implement all and only the sorting
properties reported in the document. Obviously, an RDAP server is
expected to support only those sorting properties which are mapped onto
db indexed fields.

> -- Section 2.3.1 --
> Is there a reason for this unusual writing of 'ipV4' (uppercase V) ?
[ML] No. It's only a string referencing an RDAP response value. I'll
replace it with 'ipv4'. The same for 'ipV6' :-)

> -- Section 2.4 --
> Suggestion: mention that the cursor value is opaque for the client ?
[ML] OK

> == NITS ==
>
> -- Section 2.2 --
> Is a 'figure' element really required for a single line example ?
[ML] I'll change the figure into text.

> Should the URI be
> "https://example.com/rdap/domains?name=*example.com&count=true" (also
> applicable to section 2.3)

[ML] I'm not sure to catch your comment. count and sort are two optional
query parameters which can be used together or separately.

Looking forward for your reply to my comments.

Best,

Mario