Re: [regext] DOODLE: select your documents

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Mon, 28 January 2019 09:47 UTC

To: Tobias Sattler <sattler@united-domains.de>, James Galvin <galvin@elistx.com>
Cc: Registration Protocols Extensions <regext@ietf.org>
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 10:47:13 +0100
Subject: Re: [regext] DOODLE: select your documents

Hi Tobias,

let me disagree with you about some conclusions. My comments are inline.

Il 25/01/2019 23:05, Tobias Sattler ha scritto:
> Hi everyone,
>
> After seeing the result of the vote, I, as a representative of a domain registrar, must express my serious concern about the RDAP Reverse Search document.
>
> A reverse search enables third parties to query RDAP, among other things, so that all associated domains can be queried using an email address. I consider this to be very questionable for data protection reasons.

I would agree with you if that capability was available to any user and
if there were no operators entitled to use it. But this is not the case.
Reverse search is an example of a capability which should be provided to
legitimated users according to the policies described in RFC7481. The
current implementation of reverse search by .it public test server is
fully GDPR compliant. Currently, it is allowed only to .it registrars
searching for their own domains. They can submit a reverse search
because they can rely on the "contract" lawful basis.  In the next
future, we plan to extend its availability to other legitimated users
(e.g. authorities, police).

The conclusion is: the specification is neutral, the implementations are
subject to laws about privacy, but this occurs exactly in the same way
as other internet protocols.

> In addition, such queries can lead to a very high load and strongly influence other systems - depending on the implementation of the service.
This capability has the same impact on servers of standard search
queries and RDAP providers can  implement additional features to make
search queries as sustainable as possible (see partial response and
pagination).

> Furthermore, as far as I know, there is currently no requirement for such functionality - neither from ICANN nor from other registries / registrars. Which is why I want to suggest that this document should not be adopted for now.

This is the crucial issue. Do most of the WG members agree that this
capability is really helpful ? According to the doodle results, it seems so.

As far as I know, the reverse search concept has been around in TLDs
community since time. However, the implementation in EPP of the so
called "non provisioning operations" have been considered unpractical.
Therefore some registries (including .it) have implemented custom
solutions based on out-of-band mechanisms. Now, I think that the
interest in reverse search still exists and RDAP seems suitable enough
to enable a standardised approach.

Regards,

mario