Re: [regext] New-AD review of draft-ietf-regext-bundling-registration-09

Antoin Verschuren <ietf@antoin.nl> Fri, 27 September 2019 15:13 UTC

From: Antoin Verschuren <ietf@antoin.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 17:13:31 +0200
Cc: Jiankang Yao <yaojk@cnnic.cn>, "draft-ietf-regext-bundling-registration.all" <draft-ietf-regext-bundling-registration.all@ietf.org>, regext <regext@ietf.org>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
Subject: Re: [regext] New-AD review of draft-ietf-regext-bundling-registration-09

Barry,

I have not reviewed all the comments yet, but I am only responing to this one:

> The SecDir review suggested changing the contact for the IANA registrations to the IETF, rather than the authors, and I agree: it should be “the IETF”, probably with the regext mailing list as the contact information.  You did not make any change.  Please do.

This is incorrect according to RFC4741, and I have replied to the SecDir review on the list that it is as well.
Section 2.2.1. of RFC4741 states:

Registrant Name and Email Address: The name and email address of the
   person that is responsible for managing the registry entry.  If the
   registration is of an IETF Standards Track document, this can simply
   be listed as "IESG, <iesg@ietf.org>”.

draft-ietf-regext-bundling-registration is NOT an IETF Standard Track document.
draft-ietf-regext-bundling-registration is an IETF INFORMATIONAL document, and it is for a reason.
The REGEXT working group did not consent that this draft produces a standard, and therefor refused Standards track stream.
The REGEXT working group did allow the authors to document their proprietary EPP extension in an informational IETF document, and adopted the document to help review.
This informational document only documents a proprietary EPP extension.

Proprietary EPP extensions are allowed in the IANA EPP Extensions registry, with an informational RFC as one type of documentation, but they are registered in the IANA registry with the name and email address of the one that registers the proprietary extension, which is the authors and NOT the IESG. Only Standard track documents are listed with the IESG as contact in the IANA EPP extensions registry.
The purpose of the IANA EPP extensions registry is to eventually consolidate all proprietary extensions to standards and the registered contact is one of the recognition points if an EPP extension is a standard.
We do not want proprietary EPP extensions to become standards without consent of the REGEXT working group.

I can understand that this can be confusing for the IESG, since they mostly review standards track documents as output from the REGEXT working group, but this is one of the few exceptions that is deliberately an informational document.

- --
Antoin Verschuren

Tweevoren 6, 5672 SB Nuenen, NL
M: +31 6 37682392