Re: [regext] Erik Kline's Discuss on draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-13: (with DISCUSS)

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Sun, 06 September 2020 12:43 UTC

To: Erik Kline <ek.ietf@gmail.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response@ietf.org, regext-chairs@ietf.org, regext@ietf.org, Jasdip Singh <jasdips@arin.net>
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 14:39:39 +0200
Subject: Re: [regext] Erik Kline's Discuss on draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-13: (with DISCUSS)

Hi Erik,

thanks a lot for your review. Plase find my comments inline.

Il 05/09/2020 23:22, Erik Kline via Datatracker ha scritto:
> Erik Kline has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-13: Discuss

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response/

> DISCUSS:
>
> Probably I'm just not properly aware of details in the referenced RFCs, but
> I had a few questions that came to mind.
>
> [ section 2 ]
>
> * How are multiple keys encoded in a fieldSet parameter value?  An example
>    would be welcome.
[ML] In my opinion this case is considered among the unsupported
fieldSet values producing a Bad Request response code as stated in
section 5.

> * What should be done with a query containing an empty fieldSet?
>    E.g. ...?...&foo=bar&fieldSet=&baaz=quux
[ML} This case is considered in section 5 too.

> [ section 2.1 ]
>
> * How much data transfer is actually saved if servers are supposed to send
>    these subsetting_metadata structures in every response?  Are we just
>    swapping data bytes transferred for meta-data bytes transfered?

[ML] Not all the responses. Just the responses to search queries which
are those returning an array of results.

In general, in those responses, the payload due to the metadata
information is considerably lower than the payload due to the array of
results.

It wouldn't make sense to provide the subsetting_metadata object as part
of a lookup response just because, in this case, the sizes of metadata
and relevant information would be comparable.

Best,

Mario

--
Dr. Mario Loffredo
Systems and Technological Development Unit