Re: [regext] New Version Notification for draft-loffredo-regext-epp-over-http-02.txt

Tobias Sattler <mail@tobiassattler.com> Wed, 22 June 2022 06:40 UTC

From: Tobias Sattler <mail@tobiassattler.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 08:40:33 +0200
Cc: regext@ietf.org
To: Patrick Mevzek <pm@dotandco.com>
Subject: Re: [regext] New Version Notification for draft-loffredo-regext-epp-over-http-02.txt

I agree that a redesign would only make sense if it can do more afterward than before. Otherwise, it would only produce costs and effort without delivering any real added value.

I may not doubt whether the attractiveness can be an added value, but I would at least question whether that is a sufficient added value.

In my years as a registrar, missing or unequal test systems and detailed documentation (e.g., error codes, behavior, poll messages, limits, etc.) were a much bigger problem than how the transport works—especially when transferring TLDs from one backend to another.

I don't know how your experiences are/were in those cases, but if I had a choice, I would instead work on simplification/documentation. If I remember correctly, there was also once an approach to this from Jim https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gould-carney-regext-registry/ <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gould-carney-regext-registry/>

Regarding Mario's draft, EPP over HTTP is already in use, and the document, at least as I understand it, is only intended to standardize the existing procedure, so there is no proliferation. I support that.

Tobias