Re: [regext] RDAP jCard profile

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Fri, 12 July 2019 08:25 UTC

From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
To: George Michaelson <ggm@algebras.org>
Cc: "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 10:24:38 +0200
Subject: Re: [regext] RDAP jCard profile

Hi George,

Il 11/07/2019 05:38, George Michaelson ha scritto:
> At the ICANN RoW I said (and repeat here) the primary concern I have,
> is the maintenance of BOTH i8n, and multiple value responses.
>
> This is because I am concerned we are heading back to an anglo-ASCII
> centric view, and I have to deal with significant numbers of
> non-western resource holders.
>
> I want multiple values (either as sets, or pairs within a single
> object, I don't care) because I want to be able to support the ASCII
> for westerners and non-locals, and the local language for local use.
> We have a HTTP signalling method to indicate language preference,
> which can guide how servers respond, and how clients interpret what
> they see. This feels like a useful, and significant improvement on
> WHOIS.

I have always believed like you that a JSON contact representation as an
alternative to jCard should take into account non-ASCII full texts to
describe some information.

This is why, the first JSContact proposal has been updated to represent
unstructured data as well as the languages associated to full names.

Obviously, the current version is still not comprehensive but, at the
same time, I think it isn't very distant from your perspective.

> I have no problem with jSContact in *hypothesis*, beyond having
> already made my (I am speaking in sweeping terms here: other people
> did the work) investment in the RIR RDAP, which as I have said is now
> complete and worldwide, and I find it strange that with a
> self-assessment of "not the smartest kid on the block" we were fine
> implementing JCard. Sure, it was a burden, but its a one-time burden.

Yes, so did I. But there are other issues due to the jCard structure
beyond the customization of serialization/deserialization methods.

I have implemented an RDAP validator and the JSON schema representation
of jCard has been very hard.

I have used a JSON transformation library to provide different views of
the RDAP response according to the user profile and I have found similar
problems because the trasformer meta-language couldn't be easily applied
to jCard jagged arrays.

Definitively, jCard doesn't make its processing easy.

> We've proposed a profile for JCard to try and set limits on the
> open-ended spec, and clarify what we need. I think a reasonable
> request in that context is for people looking at JSContact to look at
> our profile and help us understand what complexities remain if this is
> adopted.

If the WG will decide that JSContact shall be provided by RDAP providers
only as an optional capability, both the documents will be useful.

IMHO, the RDAP jCard profile should contain also the "url" element to
represent the link to a web page in general (e.g. a registrar web page).
The "contact-uri" element has an ad-hoc meaning described by the ICANN
RDAP profile.

Best,

mario