Re: [regext] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-13: (with COMMENT)

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Mon, 07 September 2020 17:07 UTC

To: Robert Wilton <rwilton@cisco.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response@ietf.org, regext-chairs@ietf.org, regext@ietf.org, Jasdip Singh <jasdips@arin.net>
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 19:04:01 +0200
Subject: Re: [regext] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-13: (with COMMENT)

Hi Robert,

thanks a lot for your review. Please find my comments inline.

Il 07/09/2020 16:28, Robert Wilton via Datatracker ha scritto:
> Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-13: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response/

> COMMENT:
>
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for this document.  I have two minor comments:
>
> 2.1.2.  Representing Subsetting Links
>
>             "value": "https://example.com/rdap/domains?name=*nr.com
>                       &fieldSet=afieldset",
>
> Should "afieldset" be "anotherfieldset"?

[ML] In web linking (RFC8288), the "value" field contains the context
URI and the "target" field contains the target URI in a given relation
with the context URI.

In Figure 2, the context URI is the current view of the results provided
according to the current field set (i.e. "afieldset") while the target
URI is an alternative view provided according another field set (i.e.
"anotherieldset")

> 5.  Negative Answers
>
>     Each request including an empty or unsupported "fieldSet" value MUST
>     produce an HTTP 400 (Bad Request) response code.  Optionally, the
>     response MAY include additional information regarding the negative
>     answer in the HTTP entity body.
>
> Given the solution suggests that subsetting metadata may be included in
> positive responses, it might be helpful to also include similar metadata in
> negative responses.  I.e. rather than just stating that a fieldSet is invalid,
> perhaps there should be a recommendation that the response include the list of
> possible valid values that fieldSet may take?

[ML] I think this pertains to the server policy. RDAP (RFC7483) allows
producers to provide consumers with additional information in error

Definitively, I would keep the fully compliance with the error response
structure defined in RFC7483.

Looking forward to your reply to my comments.

Best,

Mario

--
Dr. Mario Loffredo
Systems and Technological Development Unit