Re: [regext] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-13: (with COMMENT)

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Sat, 05 September 2020 14:19 UTC

To: Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response@ietf.org, regext-chairs@ietf.org, regext@ietf.org, Jasdip Singh <jasdips@arin.net>
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 16:16:23 +0200
Subject: Re: [regext] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-13: (with COMMENT)

Hi Roman,

thanks a lot for your review. Plase find my comments inline.

Il 04/09/2020 23:13, Roman Danyliw via Datatracker ha scritto:
> Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-13: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response/

> COMMENT:
>
> ** Section 2.1.  Can a server return multiple entries in the availableFieldSets
> area with default=TRUE?  Probably not.  Should something be said to that effect?

[ML] Obviously not. I don't think something should be furtherly said in
this case. I simply consider it a server failure.

> ** Section 4.  Per ‘Fields included in the "brief" and "full" field set
> would there be circumstances where the “id” field set should also take into
> account the user’s access and authorization level?  Section 8 noted that “RDAP
> operators can vary the information returned in RDAP responses based on a
> client's access and authorization levels.”  My thinking is that if a given
> client’s access level would result in particular fields being removed, then
> perhaps they shouldn’t have been listed in the with the “id” field list to
> begin with.

[ML] Removing an object identifier from the "id" field set seems to me
something deeply disagreeing with the purpose of that field set.

An RDAP provider may evaluate to provide more side information (more
links, more notices, more remarks) according to the user access level,
but not less relevant information.

Besides, removing the object identifer but keeping the self link is a
nonsense because it means providing the same information as the object
identifier but more diffiicult to process for an RDAP client.

> ** Section 8.
>
> A search query typically requires more server resources (such as
>     memory, CPU cycles, and network bandwidth) when compared to a lookup
>     query.  This increases the risk of server resource exhaustion and
>     subsequent denial of service due to abuse.  This risk can be
>     mitigated by supporting the return of partial responses combined with
>     other strategies ...
>
> I do not follow how partial responses provide denial of service mitigation when
> the attack is intentional.  Wouldn’t the attacker continue to request full
> queries given the choice between loading the server with a subset vs. full
> query?  Or is this text saying that because of the use of partial responses the
> server would have more capacity and this would enable it to better result a
> denial service?
[ML] Obviously, the second one but I agree with you that the sentence
needs to be rearranged. Could removing "due to abuse" be enough ?

> ** Editorial:
> -- Section 1.  Editorial.  s/fewer data/less data/

[ML]  I was suggested by a mother tongue to replace "less data" with
"fewer data" before WGLC . After a further check on the web, it seems
that "less" fits better for massive data.

Therefore, I'll revert that change in the next version.

Looking forwad for your answer to my comments.

Best,

Mario.

--
Dr. Mario Loffredo
Systems and Technological Development Unit