Re: [regext] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-loffredo-regext-epp-over-http-02.txt

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Thu, 23 June 2022 14:45 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 16:42:41 +0200
To: Eduardo Duarte <eduardo.duarte=40dns.pt@dmarc.ietf.org>, regext@ietf.org
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Subject: Re: [regext] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-loffredo-regext-epp-over-http-02.txt

Hi Eduardo,

thanks for being interested in the proposal.

Please find my comments inline.

Il 21/06/2022 22:09, Eduardo Duarte ha scritto:
> Hi Mario,
>
> I glimpsed at your presentation today in ROW but I wasn't able to
> comment it live because I was in another meeting......
>
> So what you purpose is to change the transport method from TCP do HTTP.
[ML] No. We propose another mapping in addition to TCP. If RFC 5730
states that it is possible to map EPP over various transports, this is
just one of the possible mappings.
> I understand that this a good starting point but is it enough? EPP
> over TCP is a barrier for getting new Registrar and I suspect that
> moving it over HTTP wouldn't change that much. EPP is about 20 years
> old and I think it needs some reshaping to the actual Internet state.

[ML] Based on the experience of both .pl and .it, implementing EPP over
HTTP is much easier than TCP over EPP.

 From client side, you don't need to manage connections but you are only
required to send a request and process the response.

Besides, sessions are implicitly handled by the libraries just enabling
cookie management. Just to give an example, .it has developed a Java
client library for .it registrars that have easily incorporated it in
their own client applications for their users.

Likewise, from server side. Decoupling the session from a physical
connection makes the sessions more flexible.

Please take a look at the section about load balancing included in the
draft to know what I mean.

As i said at the meeting, the proposal aims at defining rules for
mapping EPP over HTTP as a psedotransport. In that sense, the proposal
is very conservatve.

We didn't mean to be revolutionary. Our goal is simply to define another
mapping that preserves EPP commands semantics.

> Was this a discussion that the community had? (Probably the community
> had it and I was just not alert, since I'm not that active...)
> Tell me your thoughts!

[ML] My impression is that most of the attendees didn't catch the
message above. Most likely I ddn't make myself clear.

I fully agree with you that if there is an emerging requirement to
refactor EPP, such a proposal isn't enough and a more exhaustive
document (or a set of documents) should be written.

Best,

Mario