Re: [regext] Erik Kline's No Objection on draft-ietf-regext-rdap-sorting-and-paging-17: (with COMMENT)

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Tue, 22 September 2020 08:34 UTC

From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
Cc: Erik Kline <ek.ietf@gmail.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-regext-rdap-sorting-and-paging@ietf.org, regext@ietf.org, regext-chairs@ietf.org, tomh@apnic.net
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 10:30:35 +0200
Subject: Re: [regext] Erik Kline's No Objection on draft-ietf-regext-rdap-sorting-and-paging-17: (with COMMENT)

Hi Barry,

most common  nameserver configuration includes one address for each IP
version so clients couldn't perceive which response value is used for
sorting. Besides, based on the nameserver representation in RDAP, I
imagine that servers would select the nameserver IP addresses according
to a given version more easily than doing the same regardless the version.

But, above all, section 4 of BCP91
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3901#section-4> states that a nameserver
SHOULD have at least one IPv4 address in order to preserve name space
continuity. This is the reason why registries don't accept namservers
with only IPv6 addresses (at least, as far as I know).

Definitivelly, sorting by "ip" would mean sorting by "ipv4".

Best,

Mario