Re: [regext] RDAP jCard profile

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Wed, 10 July 2019 08:38 UTC

From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Cc: "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 10:37:23 +0200
Subject: Re: [regext] RDAP jCard profile

Hi George,

Il 08/07/2019 08:11, George Michaelson ha scritto:
> I think we should have time at the Montreal meeting to discuss this
> f2f. You have a proposal for a simplified model requiring
> re-implementation, we have a proposal for a simplification of the
> existing implementation. Both are worth discussing.
>
> -George

I agree.

It is certain that jCard is considered inefficient in many contexts
because implementers need to define their own contact data model and
customize serialization/deserialization methods provided by JSON
libraries in order to convert jCard into/from their internal
representation. The idea of having a common JSON contact representation,
more efficient than jCard, inspired the JSContact proposal.

It is also true that some RDAP implementers have raised objections to
the use of jCard, so much so that jCard fix/replacement has been debated
inside and outside this WG.

As a JSContact co-author and RDAP implementer, I have developed a new
version of .it RDAP server providing the contact information according
to such a new format as an optional capability. I did it with the main
purpose of gathering feedbacks about JSContact "as is" and, secondly,
envisage its use in the RDAP context.

Anyway, JSContact is indipendent of RDAP and the WG might decide that
there is no need to change the RDAP response or JSContact is not the
best solution for replacing jCard in RDAP.

Best,

mario