[Revampers] Website Status Update

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Tue, 24 October 2017 21:36 UTC

From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 17:36:07 -0400
To: revampers@ietf.org
Subject: [Revampers] Website Status Update

Hello,

I want to share an update on progress on the IETF website revamp project. In particular I’d like to highlight what has been done to respond to feedback from the IETF community received around IETF 99.

At a general level:

1) All the critical bugs/issues identified with the content management system have been addressed by our vender, Torchbox. There are few outstanding issues, but none of them are blocking a move to production.

2) All pages in the "Top 100” list have initial content, and review by the content ‘editors’ has begun.  We expect the review to be complete in the next month.  Progress on content is being tracked here:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LCk9Fn2kdeJPNPg5z5yIDmHs8KM_HEKbDS4k2PVLNSo/edit?usp=sharing

3) While we were migrating content, a question was raised about whether the IETF Datatracker is a better repository for IESG Statements, and Appeals and Responses. The IESG has agreed with the proposal to move these to datatracker. The work to do this will be part of the IETF 100 Code Sprint.  In the interim, we have created a set of index pages on the content management system for static web pages for these items.

More specifically, here are updates based on input received from the IETF community around IETF 99. I would like to share the information below as an update to the community in the next week or so:

A. Provide a landing page dedicated to current IETF participants

A draft is currently posted at https://beta.ietf.org/links/

That page includes links to:
- items on the left-side at www.ietf.org (or a subset thereof)
- information about the next IETF meeting
- links to functions at datatracker.ietf.org

The goal is to make this page:
- viewable in a single screen on a desktop/laptop display
- reachable via a short, memorable URL

The current content includes changes implemented based on suggestions received via email after IETF 99. This page can be updated further based on input from the community.

B. Ensure WCAG 2.0 compliance

Since IETF 99, we have worked with the website developer to improve compliance. This is a requirement of the SOW (https://iaoc.ietf.org/documents/IETF-Website-SOW-20140604-Final.pdf). We now believe that has been accomplished. However, ensuring and improving accessibility must be part of ongoing editorial practices, so it will continue to be an area of focus for the revamped website.

C. Conduct review with other key audiences, especially potential participants and non-participants

Additional interviews with members of the key audiences have been conducted to gather input. In general, response to the beta.ietf.org site was positive.  IETF newcomers say that the new site makes it easier to understand what the IETF is all about. Some specific suggestions have been incorporated into the project, and they are included here: https://github.com/ietf/www.ietf.org/issues

D. Improve data use and load times

Since IETF 99, the beta.ietf.org site was placed behind the Cloudflare CDN. This has significantly improved load times. Of course, because the sites are different in many ways, load times will not be exactly the same. However, as the new site moves to production, the editorial process will continue to fine tune how images and other elements are handled to further improve performance.  Of note, in interviews (See item C above), new or non-IETF participants located in Latin America and Africa did not report load time as a significant issue.

Next steps:

We are continuing to fine tune content and are aiming to move to production after IETF 100. One significant task remaining is to ensure continuity for important URLs, as specified in the SOW. We expect to tackle that after IETF 100.

We welcome Input and suggestions. We held "office hours" at IETF 98 and IETF 99, and we will hold "office hours” at IETF 100, providing an opportunity to share feedback in-person. Details will be posted on a sign around the IETF meeting registration desk.

Sincerely,
Russ Housley
IETF Website Revamp Project Manager