Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 9370 on Multiple Key Exchanges in the Internet Key Exchange Protocol Version 2 (IKEv2)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 13:30:39 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9370

        Title:      Multiple Key Exchanges in the 
                    Internet Key Exchange Protocol Version 2 (IKEv2) 
        Author:     CJ. Tjhai,
                    M. Tomlinson,
                    G. Bartlett,
                    S. Fluhrer,
                    D. Van Geest,
                    O. Garcia-Morchon,
                    V. Smyslov
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2023
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Updates:    RFC 7296

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-multiple-ke-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9370

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9370

This document describes how to extend the Internet Key Exchange
Protocol Version 2 (IKEv2) to allow multiple key exchanges to take
place while computing a shared secret during a Security Association
(SA) setup.

This document utilizes the IKE_INTERMEDIATE exchange, where multiple
key exchanges are performed when an IKE SA is being established.  It
also introduces a new IKEv2 exchange, IKE_FOLLOWUP_KE, which is used
for the same purpose when the IKE SA is being rekeyed or is creating
additional Child SAs.

This document updates RFC 7296 by renaming a Transform Type 4 from
"Diffie-Hellman Group (D-H)" to "Key Exchange Method (KE)" and
renaming a field in the Key Exchange Payload from "Diffie-Hellman
Group Num" to "Key Exchange Method".  It also renames an IANA
registry for this Transform Type from "Transform Type 4 - Diffie-
Hellman Group Transform IDs" to "Transform Type 4 - Key Exchange
Method Transform IDs".  These changes generalize key exchange
algorithms that can be used in IKEv2.

This document is a product of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC