Re: [rfc-i] Jim: Re: FIXED: Poll: RFCs with page numbers (pretty please) ? (was: Re: John/rsoc: Re: Page numbers in RFCs questions / preferences)

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Thu, 29 October 2020 16:21 UTC

From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 11:30:53 +1100
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Subject: Re: [rfc-i] Jim: Re: FIXED: Poll: RFCs with page numbers (pretty please) ? (was: Re: John/rsoc: Re: Page numbers in RFCs questions / preferences)
Cc: Working Group Chairs <wgchairs@ietf.org>, Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@hallambaker.com>, John Levine <ietf@johnlevine.com>, IETF Discussion Mailing List <ietf@ietf.org>, Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>, RFC Interest <rfc-interest@rfc-editor.org>, rsoc@iab.org, Jim Fenton <fenton@bluepopcorn.net>, David Noveck <davenoveck@gmail.com>
Sender: rfc-interest <rfc-interest-bounces@rfc-editor.org>

John, with electronic versions the ToC *works* for PDF and HTML.

For dead trees versions the ToC does not work efficiently regardless
of the original form.  Binary searches through a stack of pages is
not efficient.  The plain text version also has this issue in the
electronic version.

The point of a ToC is to have list of the sections *and* to be able
to get to the relevant section easily.  When you can’t click on a link
you need page numbers especially as we have unnumbered sections.

One shouldn’t have to memorise the section names *and* order in the ToC
to find something in a dead tree version.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka@isc.org