[rfc-i] RFCs and Digital Object Identifiers

johnl at taugh.com (John Levine) Sun, 17 May 2015 02:43 UTC

From: "johnl at taugh.com"
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 02:43:32 -0000
Subject: [rfc-i] RFCs and Digital Object Identifiers

>Is there a reason you inserted leading zeros, as in
>http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC0020 ?
>
>(I assume there is no magic in 4 digits, since the
>series will not end at RFC9999.)

Hi, grunt programmer here.

The DOIs are based on the doc-id field in the XML index rfc-index.xml.
If you look at the XML schema in rfc-index.xsd, you'll see

	    <xsd:pattern value="RFC\d{4}"/>

>From the comments in the file, it appears that it's been that way at
least since 2003, so it didn't seem like a good idea to invent
something different.  Presumably someday that 4 will change to 4,5 but
I doubt that pre-RFC 1000 doc-id's will change.

Please keep in mind that by design, DOIs are opaque, and you should
not assume that you can guess the DOI of an RFC or any other document
from bibliographic info.  For example, all of the ACM's DOIs are just
dot separated pairs of long numbers with no relationship I can see to
year, volume, page number, or anything else.

R's,
John