[rfc-i] draft-iab-xml2rfc-02 and draft-flanagan-nonascii feedback: Internationalization Considerations and 7760

bclaise at cisco.com (Benoit Claise) Thu, 28 January 2016 10:50 UTC

From: "bclaise at cisco.com"
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:50:37 +0100
Subject: [rfc-i] draft-iab-xml2rfc-02 and draft-flanagan-nonascii feedback: Internationalization Considerations and 7760

Dear all,

Disclaimer:
	this is the first time I read those RFC format documents,
	I've not been following the rfc-interest mailing list,
	and I'm reading the documents in sequence (*)
__Reading this in draft-iab-xml2rfc-02 made me thinking

    4.  Internationalization Considerations

        This format is based on [XML] and thus does not have any issues
        representing arbitrary Unicode [UNICODE] characters in text content.
        The RFC Editor may restrict some of the characters that can be used
        in a particular RFC; the rules for such restrictions are covered in
        [NONASCII].

I believe we miss a requirement in RFC 7760 "Statement of Work for Extensions to the IETF Datatracker for Author Statistics"
Indeed, people might start authoring draft/RFC with their real live names.
If we want the stats to be correct, the tool should have a feature to combine the ASCII with the non-ASCII author name stats.

Unless the ASCII-only name is always use in author stats, based on draft-flanagan-nonascii text:
	3.2.  Authors, Contributors, and Acknowledgments

    	Person names may appear in several places within an RFC.  In all
    	cases, valid Unicode is required.  For names that include non-ASCII
    	characters, an author-provided, ASCII-only identifier is required to
    	assist in search and indexing of the document.

This is suboptimal (if you ask me), and contrary to the goal:

    7.  Internationalization Considerations

        The ability to use non-ASCII characters in RFCs in a clear and
        consistent manner will improve the ability to describe
        internationalized protocols and will recognize the diversity of
        authors.

Regards,_Benoit and Beno?t_

(*)
Reading list:

1. The big picture

- - Flanagan, H., "RFC Format Framework",
   http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-rfc-framework/

2. The underlying vocabulary

- - Hoffman, P., "The 'XML2RFC' version 3 Vocabulary",
    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-xml2rfc/

3. The outputs

- - Hildebrand, J. and P. Hoffman, "HyperText Markup
   Language Request For Comments Format?,
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-html-rfc/

- - Flanagan, H., "Requirements for Plain Text RFCs?,
    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-rfc-plaintext/

- - Hansen, T., Masinter, L., and M. Hardy, "PDF for
   an RFC Series Output Document Format?,
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hansen-rfc-use-of-pdf/
   Note that the filename may change to an IAB document soon.

- - Brownlee, N., "SVG Drawings for RFCs: SVG 1.2 RFC",
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-svg-rfc/

4. Generalized requirements

- - Flanagan, H., "The Use of Non-ASCII Characters in RFCs",
   https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-iab-rfc-nonascii-00.pdf

- - Flanagan, H., ?CSS Requirements for RFCs?,
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-rfc-css/

5. Workflow and tools (note that the examples draft will
   not become an RFC, but is necessary for the project)

- - Hildebrand, J. and P. Hoffman, "RFC v3 Prep Tool Description",
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-rfcv3-preptool/

- - Hoffman, P. and T. Hansen, "Examples of the ?XML2RFC'
   Version 2 and 3 Vocabularies?,
   http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hoffman-rfcexamples/

6. The Statements of Work

- -http://www.nostrum.com/~rjsparks/rfced/